Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Turkey for Thanksgiving


I really don't have a lot of Thanksgiving books and I haven't even heard many that I have liked, but I found a great one this weekend. I was at Barnes and Noble and happened to see A Turkey for Thanksgiving, by Eve Bunting. I had never seen this book before and picked it up because I knew Bunting is a good author and because the illustrations were amazing. I couldn't resist buying it and when I showed it to my kids this morning it was a big hit. I think I have read it aloud at least 4 times today. My daughter loved it and even my older son liked it because the librarian at school had read it to his class, so he knew the "punchline" for the story before we started, which meant he got to know something before his sister, which always makes him happy. The book is the story of Mr. and Mrs. Moose who host Thanksgiving dinner for all their animal friends. Mrs. Moose is sad because they never have a turkey, so Mr. Moose tells her that he will find one for her. It is about his search and has a very cute twist at the end. I enjoyed this story so much that it has made me think that I need to have a collection of Thanksgiving stories. If anyone else knows of any great ones, post a comment and share!

No comments: