Saturday, April 10, 2010

Paper Dolls

This may be the cutest and easiest craft project I have ever done.  I found this great fabric panel of old fashioned paper dolls at the Mormon Handicraft in Deseret Book the other day.  I think it cost around $5.  I think I have seen the same panel in a fabric catalog before, so it must be available quite a few places.  Anyway, I went to JoAnn's and bought some extra thick fusible Pellon.  I didn't buy quite enough Pellon, so I had to loosely pre-cut the paper dolls and clothes out of the panel to fit them all on the Pellon, then I ironed them down and during General Conference I cut out all the dolls and clothes.  They are now heavy duty enough for playing will and my daughter thinks they are great.  She picked out some fabric she likes, pink of course and we made a drawstring bag to put them in.  I would show it to you, but she is currently not home and the paper dolls are with her.  I love how it turned out. 

A few tips.  I think if I were doing it again, I would buy regular pellon and then use wonder under to iron it all together.  The fusible pellon doesn't seem to stick quite as well.  I actually had to iron each piece again after I did the final cutting and there was some slight fraying around the edges that I think you would avoid by using the wonder under.

6 comments:

kim west said...

so cute! I just love them.

JoLynn said...

Did you leave the 'tabs' on or cut them off? I'm assuming the clothing 'sticks' to the dolls?

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love this idea! I think I have some of that fabric and would love to make these! Thanks for sharing! ♥

Loose Sparrow Arts N Crafts said...

What an adorable idea. I love paper dolls. So many girls have never experienced the joy of them. I hope your idea catches fire!

Heidi said...

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I have been out of town. I did cut off the tabs, I tried it both ways and liked it better without the tabs. The clothing doesn't really stick, I've gone back and forth about putting some velcro on the dolls and then it would stick, but I'm afraid all the pulling would pull the fabric off of the pellon.

Loose Sparrow Arts N Crafts said...

I found some cute paper dolls recently at a craft sale. Their feet were in pretty bad shape. I modpodged them to the plastic padded placemats sold by dollar stores. It worked so well! The placemat is flexible, but the dolls won't bend and be ruined.