Monday, June 7, 2010

Strawberry Freezer Jam

I love freezer jam and I have made it multiple times over the past 10 years, but I don't think I have ever gotten it to set up quite right.  It still tastes just as good, but it turns out more like syrup than jam.  Finally, this weekend I got it to work right.  I have been quizzing my mom because she makes it a lot and it always seems to work.  First off, she told me that you can't use the low sugar pectin if you want the freezer jam to set up.  Problem number one, I had been buying the low sugar version.  Problem number 2, she says you always have to boil the pectin.  I don't think I have ever had a pectin that said to boil the pectin for freezer jam.  Due to my mom's warnings, I was very selective when I went to purchase my pectin.  I think I have figured out the key.  This time I bought pectin that didn't say it was for freezer jam.  Here is the one I got:



Once I opened the package there were directions inside for freezer jam and those directions included boiling the pectin before it gets mixed with the fruit.  Amazingly, my strawberry jam turned out perfectly!  It made the best peanut butter sandwich ever today.  I am so excited!  I can't wait for peach season so I can try some peach freezer jam too!

2 comments:

brooke said...

I make freezer jam every year--it's the only domestic thing I do--and I use Sure Jell as well. I could never go back to eating store bought jam! I'm so glad it finally turned out for you!

Heather said...

Way to go-it looks so yummy! You should post the recipe! (I could use a yummy one.) And where did you get the cute jars?