Sunday, June 6, 2010

Baked Egg Rolls

We recently joined a food coop where we never know what fruits and vegetables we are going to end up with.  One of the items this week was bok choy.  I had never even seen it, let alone cooked with it, but my friend told me that it works great in egg rolls.  I did a few searches at allrecipes and some other online sites and found out that you can bake egg rolls.  Wow!  I am so excited that I know this now.  I love egg rolls and never would have attempted them if I had to fry them.  I am scared to death of using hot oil, not to mention the fat and calories.  Anyway, baking them and spraying them with Pam tastes almost the same.  I made vegetable ones, but I think next time I'd add some chicken or something for a little more flavor.  I stir fried all the vegetables in a little canola oil.  The bok choy turned out great.  I also used carrots, mushrooms and green onions.  I didn't have any terriyaki sauce, which I think would have made it even better, so I add a little fat free Italian salad dressing, some soy sauce and a little mustard, along with a few shakes of garlic salt.  After your vegetables are soft, you just spoon a tablespoon or two of the filling into your already prepared egg roll dough(you buy these at the grocery store, usually in the produce department) and there are directions on the package for how you fold them and roll them.  Spray a cookie sheet with Pam and then after you place the egg  rolls on the pan spray the tops of the egg rolls lightly with the Pam too.  Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 14-16 minutes.  Make sure you flip them over about halfway through.  I think they taste better fairly well done.  The ones I let brown a little more were excellent.  Honestly, the only hard part about the whole thing was getting the wonton shells apart (that's what the egg roll wrappers actually are).  If anyone has any great tips for making that job easier, let me know!  I am excited to try these again, I think there are lots of possibilities.  I love those Mexican egg rolls at Chili's, I think I might have to try some of those next.

No comments: