Friday, November 6, 2009

Books for Boys


My oldest child is a 7 year old boy. I love to read and I especially love children's books. I make it a point to try and stay up to date on what's out there for kids to read, but I have struggled to find things for my son to read that will draw him in. Several books have saved me. I thought I would share them, for anyone else that is struggling to find great books for beginning readers, particularly ones that will interest boys. In my opinion, the best book series around for beginning readers is The Mercy Watson Series, by Kate DiCamillo. This is a series of beginning chapter books that include color pictures on every page. The text is not dumbed down for the beginning reader and the best part is that the stories are hilarious! They are not gender specific, they easily interest both boys and girls and they won't make the parent want to poke their eyes out! They cost a little more than some beginning reader books, but there are some great deals on amazon. I promise they are worth the money!

No comments: