Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Penderwicks


A few months ago, a friend told me that I absolutely needed to read this book. She promised I would love it. She was right! I haven't read it aloud to my kids yet. My girls are too young for chapter books yet and we are in the middle of the Harry Potter series with my son, so we won't be reading any new chapter books for awhile, but The Penderwicks, by Jeanne Birdsall is outstanding. The story is about 4 sisters who befriend a neighbor boy. It is what I would consider an old-fashioned story. The sisters love each other and spend time together, not to say that they don't have conflicts, but for the most part they work together and understand the importance of family. Girls would love it and I think you could get away with reading it to boys because one of the main characters is a boy. As far as ages go, you could easily read it aloud to a first or second grade child and I think they could read it on their own by late second grade or third grade.

No comments: